Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Letter to BLM

[I just sent this as an e-mail to BLM management]

Ms. Meyers and Mr. Quigley,

I recently learned of the decision the BLM needs to make regarding off-road vehicle use in southern Utah's Arch Canyon. I strongly oppose the use of motorized vehicles in Arch Canyon. As a Utah tax payer and frequent visitor of the area, I think you should consider my opinion when making this decision.

There are thousands of miles of dirt roads and trails in southeastern Utah that offer ample opportunities for various types of off-road vehicle riding. But there is only one Arch Canyon with its yet unspoiled scenery and invaluable cultural sites and artifacts. I think traffic through Arch Canyon should be limited to foot travelers only.

I understand that vehicles would have to cross Arch Canyon's stream 60 times for a one way trip before reaching the U.S Forest Service boundary where motorized vehicles are prohibited. 60 times one way means that, once the vehicle makes the return trip, it has crossed the stream 120 times. Who knows what negative impact that will have on the stream's water quality, survival of native fish, stream bank alteration, and vegetation? I'm sure it would cause irreparable harm.

Earlier this month I hiked into Davis Gulch in the Glen Canyon recreation area and was awed by the natural beauty and ancient ruins. I understand the extreme impact off-road vehicles can have in such a delicate ecosystem. I request that BLM fully analyze the direct, indirect and cumulative impacts that off-road vehicle use has on the cultural and natural resources in Arch Canyon, and honor the traditional and ceremonial values in Arch Canyon for which Native Americans have already voiced concern.

Sincerely,
my name and personal contact information

1 comment:

dillweed said...

Excellent. I think I will do the same during my lunch break. I have not been there yet - but I really want to go.